Pages

Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Hello Dream Killer. What? THERES AN APP FOR THAT??

I know. Everything is a rant. Never a nostalgia post, never a time capsule post, hell not even a how was your day post XD I fail.

But I said I was gonna do this and I am.

Stop here if you don't want a horrific iphone infested rant.


 

Good? Now we can begin.

I hate the iphone.

OHNORLY. Just want to clarify why. No, its not the normal reasons not the ones the commercials do with the smart phones "your just jealous because you don't have one." Oh of course I'm jealous. EVERY PHONE IS BETTER THAN MY PHONE, but on the zune side of things or yknow.. because iphone is better than books, the BOOK side of things, I'm doing just fine. I dislike that of the gaming portion of the iphone.

And no, it's not the "it's just because you don't get to play them" thing either. I DON'T PLAY ANYTHING AT THE STUPID MOMENT.

And the iphone is why.

If you didn't know, anyone with a iphone dev kit can create "apps" for said iphone. Of course I think this means you have to have a mac, but besides that, ANYONE can make something, and sell it on the iphone. The genuine problem with this is that ANYONE MEANING EVERYONE, CANNOT CREATE. In the world, as told by our wonderful philosophical books such as The Giver, or 1984, an idealistic world is where our occupation and destiny is controlled by another. But in the same fashion, if given everyone the chance to do what they wanted, well we'd have a lot more "fun" jobs being taken, a lot more unemployment, and no people doing shit jobs. Essentially, even though you can choose your job, there is no regulation in the system and you would have about as much a chance to do the "fun" job as you would in a controlled world.

    With the iphones development kits being pretty easy to obtain, more people are making apps. But there will always be the "P.O.S." app, sold for 99 cents. That's just a buck right? If its crap delete it right?

STANDARDS.ARE.LOWERED.

Just like in society as of right now, which is a whole 'nother bag of worms I'm not ready to write about.

Did you know as per Wikipedia, Yoshi's island, a Nintendo 64 game that came out in America in 1998, retailed at 59.99, Which is the current price of a top of the line Sony Playstation 3 or Xbox 360 game. In terms of how money was compared to what it was 10 years ago, we can say that was a pretty darn higher amount of money (though I don't know for how long), and people were willing to pay this for a game with minimal to low 3d graphical capabilities. Now I'm not going to say that games are BETTER now than they were, because believe me a part of me believes this to be a big fat lie; but for a game (lets compare call of duty 4 to N64s super smash brothers), for around the same price Call of duty has top of the line graphical capabilities, online play, trophies or achievements, some would say that the better multiplayer game would in fact be call of duty.

The point is, people were willing to pay for games that were top of the line OF THAT GENERATION. That smash bros brought together Nintendo characters like it had never had before, created almost another genre, that the game was loads of fun, and still is by the way, and people loved it. So 60 dollars justified the means. For a gamer like my brother, COD4 for 60 dollars the way he plays it is a steal. To justify my money though, hell no would I spend 60 dollars on a shooter where one, I don't like playing online, and two IM BAD AT. Justifying money seems to be the ordeal I'm mad at.

    My uncle, el dorko extrordinare, happened to be the ultimate gamer of the time, shelled out A HELLA a lot of money for a Sega Saturn that failed, bought ps1 first day, bought a psp very early, blah blah blah. This was all before he had children of course. And now, all he owns in his house is a Wii and is iphone. For a 37? Year old, with two small girls and one baby, a handheld is what he can deal with. With a million dollar baby ford that came last year, cheap games are all he can afford. Therefore, the iphone is his ideal. And I have no problem with that. Hes got a wii for when a star (lol) like Mario galaxy comes along, and hes full well and ready to put the money out for the next one. But he is exactly what people are becoming. Idiots.

Now I'm not saying iphone owners are idiots, no no no, Its that what he looks for in his device is everything. And I guess this is what we all want, the times of APUSH teach us if something or someone can do more, if Macys can offer MAIL in catalogs before others, they make the money. DO MORE. And others do less. He does less to do what he wants. What? I want to go to look up GPS directions? Ive got an app for that. Fine. What? I need to know the TIME WHY DON'T I LOOK AT MY IPHONES CLOCK OHOHOHOHO *your wearing a watch* >.>

Besides this, because im ranting. I'll get to the point. That which those who want to do less, those who want the easy road in things, will get crap. Like jobs, fail out of high school because you wanted to do less, you're a janitor. Whatever. And so that which ye wanted to do less, you got less. You get crap. Crap made by the people, and I guess FOR the people. The iphone, because regulation does not exist in the "crap" category, can make bad games and sell it for a buck. But what happens you say? Why does that matter to the smart consumer?

    Lol didn't I call my uncle a dorko? SMART CONSUMER? If everyone was a smart consumer there would never be any deals. Because of this, these 99 cent P.O.S games start JUSTFYING THE MONEY. They say "well we could get Rolando 2, a game critically acclaimed by even the people who make games for ten bucks, which is far less than its sort of clone loco roco 2 which came out first on the psp. OR I can buy ten games for a buck each.

    Well good job dorko. You just bought 10 crappy games instead of one good one. Now, what about those good ones for a dollar? Because people make good games for a dollar, they'd rather take the dollar one than the 10 dollar one. And buy…9 other shitty games for the same price yay. Blah blah mix and match it you'll get the same idea. If a good game is for a buck, and another good game is for 10 bucks, which are ya gonna buy? Yep.

Suddenly, Patapon 2 for the psp for 20 bucks isn't looking so satisfying. Suddenly, ANY ps3 or 360 game doesn't look so appetizing. And suddenly, people are willing to spend "less" to buy more.

    In our current society its everywhere. Spend less buy more. Go to walmart, get more than you would at Target or Kroger. It's a casual way of thinking. Yknow, casual like the WII? See where I'm going with this follow me follow~

    The casual gamer in us (yes, in all of us.) comes out. And suddenly, people make smaller, less overall enthralling games for a buck that appeals to a casual crowd, or ALL of the market of the iphoners, compared to the PSP install base. And all of them pick up that game for a buck……million dollars. And that SUCKS. Well. Not for them. And I guess not for the casual customer.

So why am I so mad?

I am a gamer. And. I want to make games. So as a gamer, a dollar for a GREAT game, is a great price. As a future video game designer? I'M OUT OF A JOB.

My ideas, they're not, 3 hour 1 dollar ideas. They're not Mario clones with a twist; they're their own thing. Project natas? ARE YOU KIDDING ME?

Its hard making GOOD GAMES. Look at square….3 or 4 years ago XD those cutscenes were made by people very good at their job. For 10, for kh, some scenario writer worked his butt off. The graphic artists who made the renders worked day in and day out to make sure that nose was correct. They PERFECT IT. And then they sell it. At a modest 60 dollars. To a developer, that, is a justifying means of money for what they have created. And really now, if you think about it makes sense. I sold one picture for 20 dollars. How many screenshots can we take of a game? Yknow .000005 cents for a game with like 1000 plus screenshots, that's worth about 60 bucks. And the gameplay. And the online that many games include now; and the time. Now. Its hard because I'm, not very made of money. Sometimes, its very hard to be an artist, and a gamer. and a kid. To want to go to the mall? Gas. To draw a picture? Markers. To buy a sixty dollar game that sometimes means I might not get to play it, may lose interest and even tho it's a great game I exactly haven't gotten my play out of it? Suddenly doesn't seem too feasible. Even time isn't on my side. And its hard. What do I do? Be the gamer in me? Or try to make the games. And now. Its harder than ever.

    If I spent all that time, all the time square does on a final fantasy, okay, maybe a little less than that XD, and I put it out on the market that's becoming, it wont sell. 60 bucks? Hell no we can buy 60 one dollar iphone games. Even though my game is probably better than, say forty of those combined (Which if you buy enough ports you might get sonic Disney rock band singing in Japanese and I just cant compare to that), the market wants to play, what they think is more bang for their buck. And that would kill the industry. And that would kill my dreams. No Tovuja. No Natas. And maybe no start to a pea pod that hasn't even begun yet.

All because of the iphone.


 

Disagree? Fight me. El Dorko extrodinare fights me. I might not've won yet, but neither has he. And that means something.

See yas. Next time it'll be time capsule or something.

~Kayton

3 comments:

Cheeto said...

lol me and you talked about this before and i get your point. stupid people these days..but who knows. blame the economy. >.> life sucks.

Unknown said...

quantity over quality, it's always the executioner of creativity and true value. while I wouldn't hate the iphone for it (since it's an inanimate object that acts on the will of the user), I'd blame the people who think they're oh-so-smart when they buy a crap game for $1, a crap book for $1, a crap meal for $1 etc, which ultimately forces the company producing quality goods to either a) downgrade, or b) go bankrupt. I'd get it if that $1 item was all they could get, but in the case of an iphone, i don't think that's the case. And because I'm so disappointed with pretty much anything that regards the future, I have no solace to provide for mine or yours crumbling dreams.

Mal said...

Here I am.. unusually late ><

Um.. I know nothing of iphones.. except that i might get one for my birthday... I'll let you know how that goes.

My brain is blown atm. I wish i had something more intelligent to say.

It's like all my attention has gone towards Eso... I do really need to give that much attention to Bebop and Blitz.. and especially GL. O gah.

I've had rather good luck with games lately.. now all the ones I want aren't even out yet. Lols. Too bad you don't have a GameXchange -.-

I'd also like to say I regret being the busy person that I've been lately. It's my preceptorship.. but I guess you know about that already, so I won't give out that speech again. It was in my shoutbox if you didnt catch it.

I feel like Simba now.
"What should I do?"
"Run away, Simba.. RUUHN AWAY, AND NEVER RETURN."